WE LOVE HOLIDAY DECORATIONS
We all love a festive atmosphere in our homes during the holidays. Sadly, holiday decorations can lead to fire hazards.
HARD FACTS ABOUT HOLIDAY FIRES
According to the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA), more home fires occur during the holiday season than any other time of the year.
HOLIDAY FIRE HAZARDS
- U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated average of 840 home structure fires per year that began with decorations, excluding Christmas trees, in 2011-2015. These fires caused an annual average of two civilian fire deaths, 36 civilian fire injuries, and $11.4 million in direct property damage.
- Ten percent of decoration fires were intentional.
- The decoration was too close to a heat source such as a candle or equipment in two of every five (42%) fires.
- More than one-fifth (21%) of the decoration fires started in the kitchen. Fifteen percent started in the living room, family room, or den.
- One-fifth (19%) of the home decoration fires occurred in December.
Source: NFPA’s “Home Structure Fires Involving Decorations” report
- Candles started more than one-third (36%) of home decoration structure fires.
- More than half (55%) of the December home decoration fires were started by candles, compared to one-third (32%) from January to November.
- The top three days for home candle fires were Christmas, New Year’s Day, and New Year’s Eve.
- Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires, followed by the day before Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day.
- Cooking equipment was involved in 19% of home decoration fires. This can happen when a decoration is left on or too close to a stove or other cooking equipment.
- Ten percent of fireworks fires occur during the period from December 30 through January 3, with the peak on New Year’s Day.
MAKE A HOME FIRE ESCAPE PLAN
Have a fire safety escape plan and review that plan with all family members twice each year. Please watch this informative video on developing a good fire escape plan.
YOU CAN PREVENT HOLIDAY FIRES
By following the guidelines laid out by the NFPA, you can have beautiful holiday decorations AND protect your loved ones and your home from fire during this and every holiday season! Click here for more information on fire safety and even download a fire safety checklist to keep on hand>.
We are The Attic Experts – Insulation and Attic Ventilation Contractors Serving Chicago & Suburbs. We have helped thousands of homeowners improve the comfort of their homes while reducing utility costs for over 25 years! Call us to schedule a free attic inspection today at 630.941.3800